HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions, but this year I’m going crrrrr-aaaazy.
I’m going to read 52 books in 2017. That’s 1 per week, and since this year starts on a Sunday, it’ll be a nice round challenge. Or at least it will start round. I can’t do the math to figure out the rest.
I’m super excited about this for a few reasons.
- There are so many books that I’ve been meaning to read forever. Ideally, I’d like to keep up with the books everyone’s talking about, as well as the popular fairy tale retellings, and some non-fiction sprinkled in. This year I finally got to The Goldfinch and The Time Traveler’s Wife (about time, eh?). There’s a reason these books go viral and, as a writer, I should be reading them!
- I overdid it on podcasts this year. Too much politics, mostly, but also too much information in general. I’ll replace much of my podcast listening with audiobooks from the library (if you haven’t checked out whether or not your library has Overdrive… DO IT)… most of which will not be focused on self-improvement.
- It’ll help increase my ability to focus. The Internet has made me impatient. Reading a book with no distractions will be like meditation.
- This will give me a goal to work toward instead of just a nebulous “read more.”
- Hopefully it will make me a better writer, too!
So, what do you think? Do you care to join me?
There are no rules. Personally, I’m going to read 1 full-length book + 1 fairy tale per week. I’ll post each week about the books, give a mini review.
If you’d like to follow along or join in, friend me or follow me on Goodreads.
Week 1: “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr
Week 2: “East of Eden” by John Steinbeck
Week 3: “The Invention of Wings” by Sue Monk Kidd